Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Ahhh.... France

Via three trains, two and a half days (one on the beach in Barcelona), and the distance of two countries I've moved from the South of Spain to the Northwest of France. I'm staying in Nantes with Anne-Lise, a fabulous girl I met in Fremantle, Australia a little over a year ago.

Incredible French cuisine, food, and cheese, warm weather, fresh baguettes from the bakery downstairs, splendid company, the "french way" of the people, fresh squeezed juice for breakfast, and a flat in the middle of the city - I think I may have just described my personal nirvana.

Anne-lise got the day off yesterday and we headed for the coast, rained out a bit but caught up with some of her friends in a old walled city (Only 4 entrances through a 400,500, or older wall). A pianist, celebrated architect and artist, french girl visiting from the Ivory Coast, and others. Great folks, very little english, and many a glass of wine from the cafe crawl. I spent *a lot* of time staring off into space as I don't speak a word of French, but nonetheless had an splendid afternoon.

Booked *another* way back to London (my third now, tossed a train ticket from Paris and flight from Granada so far), I'll take the 10 minute flight from here to London on Monday where I'll catch back up with John for our flight to Dubai Monday night.

Photos coming... Emails to respond to... (from bloody January) All in due time.

By the way, Tito, a friend of Annie (John's sister-in-law in Granada) introduced me to a bad ass Cuban Hip Hop band that reminds me of what I like about Ozomatli. They're named Orishas. I especially like Emigrante and A lo Cubano. (iTMS links)

No comments: