Sunday, August 21, 2005

Sunday night in a windowsill

Great weekend of parties, yoga, and hiking in the surrounding mountains: now finishing up with a night of takeout and movies with my fabulous flatmate Dougal.

Dougal’s hit the sack while I relax in the living room. Peering out of the windows on the street, I see a city asleep. A bus confirms I’m not just looking at a photo. Norah Jones’ sultry voice sings, “I don’t miss you at all”. The contradiction reminds me a bit of my own.

I’m still amazed with how lucky I am to land here and fall into the company of great people in a lovely city. Yet, I do miss you folks back home. Alas, without the challenge of doing this on my own, this adventure would lose a lot of its rewards.

I can’t believe it, but on Thursday I’ve been working a month already. I can tell I’m back in the rat race as time disappears and a month has passed in the blink of an eye. At least I have the memories of great times at work and plenty of laughter with folks I’ve met here.

Took maybe 10 photos in 3 weeks, but that’s part of settling. Building a home, with its forthcoming foundation comes the comfort to stretch back out into the things one does for fun instead of those we do for survival.

Long Friday and Saturday nights with friends, buying sheets and a towel hook for the bathroom, and a nice hike with Simon up a local mountain in the fog – I do love this city. A week of work and then possibly some sailing in the Marlborough sounds in the South Island. The next weekend will bring a weekend party with people from work in a hired Yacht Club, kayaking the sounds, and diving a wreck – that will all be fantastic. Next weekend also brings my birthday, my first family event without family around. This is though… the adventure.

No comments: