Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Last of Freo

Upon return to Fremantle I am reminded how much at home I am with my friends here. I even manage to not go to sleep the first night back. A day at the beach, then a 3 hour dinner at one of the best restaurants in Fremantle with Anne-Lise. We ate and drank fabulous food right over the water. If the food, wine and company weren’t enough – a dolphin swam directly up to us and we were able to see it from 3 feet-away. My final week here had a schedule consisting of going to the beach with Anne-lise, drinking Guinesses with Alex, and playing cards until 5 am with Steve and Craig. There was of coarse my last night celebration when we all went to a club until after 4 am and danced among kids I could have babysat. My night was made by this Swiss-German guy that was hilarious and kept calling me JR (as I am the only Texan most of these guys have ever met, and of coarse Texas is just like Dallas). Oh and did I mention I saw freakin’ Norah Jones in concert? Alex let me borrow his wonderful Swiss-German girlfriend Vicky, and we sat in the natural grass amphitheater in the botanical gardens of Kings Park, Perth, Australia watching Norah Jones with the Southern Cross hanging in the clear sky above the stage. Top it off with a bottle of Australian Shiraz and I’ve got a night to remember. All this fun and great people made me quite bummed to be leaving Freo. I would really like to catch up again with the friends I made here. In one of the more touching experiences of my life, when my shuttle for the airport showed up and I grudgingly picked up my backpack to go get on it – half the hostel got up and walked out with me to see me off. Hugs, kisses and waves and I was off to Sydney via Melbourne.

No comments: