Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Sydney

Arrived in Sydney missing a night of sleep due to leaving at 10 pm, losing 3 hours from a time zone shift, and sitting next to a very nice but talkative old man from Tasmania. This of coarse backed up to 2 post 4 am nights out before even getting on the plane. But, who’s complaining? This is a freaking blast. Spent the first day walking the magnificent botanical gardens and going through a photography exhibit before catching up with Laura from Austin. Had a blast with a long lunch, red wine, and my first conversation in months with someone I’ve known for longer than a week. Planned to go out that night but fell asleep around 7 and slept until 11 the next day. Up for a run, through the streets of Sydney which is a beautiful city, through parks, and finally around the Opera House. Back for a shower and off walking again. Ended up back at the Opera House where I bought a ticket to a show that started in an hour and a half. Passed the time with a glass of wine along the water and met a nice German gal on her 3 month paid vacation she gets every year! I asked if they were hiring… no luck. Great play that was a social satire about right wing shock jocks (ala Rush Limbaugh) and the hatred and polarization they engender. There was a “working poor” character who is finally able to afford meat for her family at the end. I just about fell out of my seat because the character talks about how she could finally go on a holiday with her family. It made me realize that in Australia, only the utterly destitute, practically homeless; don’t take holidays – which here are at least a month. God forbid there be an American in the play – they would think we couldn’t afford shoes with the holidays we take. In the contrast I know I’d rather swing the Australian way. Walked around until the rain drove me into an Italian restaurant and then back to the hostel. Have I mentioned I’m rooming with an Irish guy, 2 Swedish girls, and 2 Canadian girls? The girls are all 20 and going through the same “girls gone wild” self-discovery we get at home with college freshmen. Came home to the room having just finished a drinking game and loving life. Joined them for a drink in a bar downstairs but then snuck back to sleep and answer emails.

Today the weather sucks - rained all day so I have literally spent the day writing these three entries for my blog. Finally caught up and happy to have a day of sitting around. Tonight off to another play at a local theater and tomorrow if it clears I bounce over to Manly Beach. Hope these entries find everyone enjoying themselves. --Trey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know what’s funny, you always told me how lucky I was to be so young and to have accomplished so much. Well, I must say, from reading your stories, I think you’ve accomplished so much more than most people could in a lifetime. You’re on a fearless discovery about yourself, life, and true happiness. Things most people never realize the true meaning of. Most of us are too afraid to truly let go and let God and life lead us where they may, instead of us trying to control our lives to the point of madness. I’m truly envious, and hope to gain a glimmer of the passion for life with which you are living out this journey. Best wishes from Beaumont, Texas!

Kay