Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Lots 'o walking round

Job applications, interviews, recruiters, phone calls, emails... etc, have filled my days for the last week. Yet in no way is this stressful. I sit in a coffee shop, okay I'll admit it, a Starbucks...damn I hate that, but they have free wireless internet. I do my correspondence for a couple hours and then walk at least an hour in some direction in an attempt to get myself lost - were I always end up finding some fantastic alfresco lunch.

Interviews normally in the afternoon and strolls by the harbor at sunset. As far as job hunting goes - it's alright.

This evening strolling by some yachts, Auckland’s title as "The City of Sails" was earned in my eyes as I saw 4, count 'em, 4 America’s Cup yachts in one harbor - err... harbour.

While emailing I've been catching up with news from home, thanks to internet radio from KUT.org, KGSR.com, and NPR.org. I love technology, but live broadcasts from my favorite radio station always seems to garner me the thrilling programs that are on at 3AM Texas time.

Tonight I recently turned to some good 'ol web browsing. Having been an American abroad, living among possibly the most liberal (and well informed) individuals I am likely ever to be surrounded by. I looked up Saipe in the Wikipedia (a free online encyclopedia I would recommend to anyone) in order to get the whole story on a criticism I heard from a British couple in Indonesia.

This may not come as a surprise to y'all reading this, but did you know the following about Saipan?:

Despite its status as a U.S. Commonwealth, Saipan is exempt from some federal laws, including key labor and immigration laws. As a result, a number of garment factories with wages around half of the U.S. minimum wage have been set up on the island to supply the U.S. market. Goods manufacured in U.S. Commonwealths, including Saipan, may be labeled "Made in the USA".

In January 1999, a coalition of U.S.-based pressure groups and labor unions began a class action on behalf of around 30,000 garment workers whom they claimed had been mistreated in such factories, being submitted to what was in effect indentured servitude. In April 2003, a settlement worth $20 million was reached with 27 garment manufacturers and 27 leading retailers, such as Gap, Tommy Hilfiger, and Polo Ralph Lauren. The firm of Levi Strauss & Co. refused to settle, however; in January 2004, the case against this company was dismissed.



Crazy huh? Some how I feel more responsible to know these things as I travel, because after all I would be the obvious person to ask about things related to the US in a room full of Europeans.

On a lighter note I cracked up to find out the almighty and powerful US of A has territories that are still officially "disputed". That strikes me as just silly.

Writing this I have to wonder if these things seem relevant to you all back home or not. I have no idea what I would have thought a year ago if some pal of mine wrote the same thing on their blog.

Would I care half as much as I do now? Humm....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trey-da-mon

I care that you care, and want to share your thoughts with us. I think indentured servitude is despicable, and sorely in need of being addressed if we are to label ourselves and the home of the free. I marvel that you wanted to travel this world and discover more to life than the good ol USofA. I appreciate your efforts to convey some of the more surprising discoveries you have made about the perceptions of USA as a country, and its citizens from the outsiders looking in. Remind them, when you don't know any answers or intelligible comments on world issues that you are traveling in order to gain THEIR appreciation and perspective, and not necessarily to educate the world as to how sensitive and caring the USA can be. You, friend, are a shining example of a human being, no matter where your national stature resides. So do yourself proud, and dismiss your concerns about what they think about what you think. Just give it to them and let them chew on the thoughts awhile. They are likely to become enlightened to other things through your eyes.

Melissa