Sunday, April 03, 2005

Bula!

Holy Cow! I realize that I can't capture in words or pictures how amazingly beautiful Fiji is, possibly I could only hint at how far I am from being able to do so.

Anyways, Bula is Hello in Fijian and it is spoken with vivacity and a big smile over an over again everywhere I've been from the Airport to the Resorts to the Supermarket on the mainland.

Left Melbourne, Australia at 1:00 am lost three hours and landed in Nadi, Fiji at 8:00 am. A bit knackered (I’ve been hanging out with some Brits for the last 5 days) went to the pickup spot and found no van… well we are on “Fiji Time”. So I sat down and figured if it didn’t show up in an hour I would call… someone. Then a couple in their thirties sat down beside me with the most adorable 2 year old who’s curls seemed straining to keep up with her heads rapid motion. Macy as it turns out, and her parents were also headed to Octopus Resort. Macy’s dad was in a bit more of a rush, and called to find out that the van was on it’s way. We three piled into a van with four already aboard and headed for the main office, yet before we made the 10 minute trip all were introduced and already chatting away. Paid up ahead and then went to the resorts boat for the trip out. A gorgeous day and we ran out in there 30 footer at about 30 knots and arrived within an hour. We did not however, arrive before I was knocked out of my chair by how incredibly beautiful Fiji is. Moored off this amazing white beach (a Conde Nast top 10 in the World!) in brilliant clear water that seemed to glow blue green, hoped onto a skiff for a beach landing only to be met by Fijians singing us in.

The next 5 days were full of getting my dive certification finally, seeming amazing coral, snorkeling off the beach, hiking the island, good food, great drinks, and even better friends. Hung out the entire time with the poms (British) I came on the boat with. Laughed out loud more times than I could count. Chatted about everything from Religion to Sex to Coca Cola products while watching the sunset. Shawn from Cumbria made me laugh to no end. Angela, shawn’s girlfriend’s smile was contagious. Ricky’s dry humor was kept me rolling when Shawn was sipping Fiji bitter. And finally Carina, Ricky’s better half just about made me fall out of my chair with her directness that seemed perfectly posh to me as it was delivered with an English accent.

Food was included in the resort rate, so everyone was feed together at long tables in the open air dining room with a sand floor. The entire resort comprising about 40 people (Of which their appeared an endless supply of twenty something, tan, left-ear flower wearing women – have I mentioned the word “Paradise” yet?). We had an island to ourselves, great diving, and fantastic company; as holiday’s go – I don’t think it gets better than that.

I was given a proper send off with hugs all around and waves all the way to the larger boat and even waves following me out of the bay. We then got a roller coaster ride on the way back in 4 foot seas – but it was a blast. Checked into a hostel hear and am awaiting my 5:30 am rise to go catch my 8 AM flight for Tonga! Just found out how to get where I’m going in Tonga, which will include a flight on Peau Vava'u Limited Airlines DC3’s. I’m crossing my fingers for a grass runway landing. We’ll see though.

I can’t wait for Tonga, can’t wait for New Zealand (Harriet another English gal at Octopus gave me fantastic notes and got me ridiculously excited), and can’t wait for tomorrow and seemly everyday after that. It really feels like everyday is Christmas, and they just keep coming. Now I’m even looking for a trip over to Antarctica while in New Zealand, how’s that for a bit of adventure. As if the ice climbing I’ll do in New Zealand isn’t enough!

No comments: