Saturday, April 09, 2005

Relaxed to the point of shallow breaths

Last two days having been filled with diving. The water is fantastic – warm and clear. Highlights include: a wreck of a 300 foot freight liner 90 feet below where I swam through the holds with snapper half my size, swimming in a cave with 8 sharks, and seeing an eagle ray swim by at full tilt. It is very relaxed here, but I find myself more and more excited about New Zealand. More and more excited about being in one spot for a couple months straight. Thankfully this desire is not fed by loneliness, but just a desire to stop moving for a little while. I want to know where the good grocery store & café are, and visit them more than once.

I’ve met a number of New Zealand ex-pats here (they run the dive shop and internet café) and I’m confronted with the question: “Could I live here?” It is very slow and reasonably isolated, yet completely lacks any smidge of stress while living quite literally in paradise. I’d half to say no though, I feel like I need some stress in my life to know I’m still breathing. My fidgetiness is possibly a shortcoming, but I can’t be this stagnant long-term – it’s really a challenge to do it for the few weeks I’m here. Maybe all this will change over the length of this trip, but only time will tell.

No comments: