Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Back in Welli

Originally disappointed to be leaving holiday, summer, and Europe for winter and work (NZ really is quite nice), John and I landed at half 4 on Saturday. I made a beeline for the shower, shared a story or two with Dougal, and was fast asleep by half 6.

Awoke at 3 am, then watched the sunrise listening to Tchaikovsky and walking around the Wellington waterfront. As I the reflections of the buildings curve around the bay I was struck by how much I do like Wellington. As a city, it seems to represent so many of the same values I hold dear with my ideal balance of urban living in a natural environment. The mountains across the harbor repeating in archetypal blue patterns so often seen in landscape art, parks along the water, and a clean and remarkably accessible city framed within it all.

Then Monday. I know it’s winter and I know it’s work, but endless drizzle, 8 degrees Celsius, and dark by half five – not made any better by staring at a computer all day and going through my 2500+ emails? The contrast is a bit harsh. And for a bit of icing, I have to move as the fabulous flat I live in has sold while I was away.

All in all I can’t complain - I really am lucky. Not only was I able to take a trip to Europe - but I was also able to take 5 weeks off work, enjoy a change of season, and come back to a wonderful home that still feels exotic.

Tuesday continued to pour, work continued to ramp up, but I still have that fabulous feeling of summer locked tight away in my chest.

No comments: