Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Damn I Miss Europe

England was brilliant – polite, charming and witty, the people exuded the virtues I’ve been raised to admire. Spain was inspiring – saturated colors, saturated passions, and the perfect lifestyle.

In France, I fell in love. Food, wine, and cheese that could keep me grinning for years; coupled with beautiful cities, sophistication, and a profound appreciation for the arts that is hundreds of years old and stronger than ever. Throughout Europe the history seduced me. It struck me that with these countries deep histories came a humanistic prioritization, holding highest lifelong education and the arts.

John and I arrived in Dubai this morning, 3 hours of sleep on a plane followed by a drive through a “city” that consumerism built. I quote city as I generally feel that cities are living and breathing entities that one builds a relationship with – yet I have not felt that here in the least bit. Stunningly disorganized grandiose development studded throughout patches of empty sand. No sign of concern for aesthetics: giant roundabouts without the least sign of beautification, skylines continuously broken by massive high voltage power lines, and a landscape punctuated only by brand names, IKEA, Ace, and the directions to our villa included “turn right at the Coca-Cola roundabout”. Everything is new, very comfortable, and for sale. It should be noted the previous sentence only applies to the wealthy. I have not seen it directly, but have only read about and seen hints at how the poor are treated. Dubai seems to embody the essence of what I detest in American suburbs: chain stores, chain food, and shopping to distract your life away.

The contrast with Europe is gut wrenching. This is a first reaction, and hopefully very unfair as we have only had an afternoon in the city. This afternoon, which on the advice of our host, we spent in a “the largest mall outside of North America”. What could I possibly expect? An afternoon in a mall anywhere would probably give me this impression. I’m also quite saddened to leave friends in Europe and especially bummed to be approaching work and winter! Looking forward to seeing some more of Europe tomorrow and enjoying some 40 degree heat.

No comments: