Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Norah nights

It's midnight, just finished reading a chunk of Microserfs by Douglas Coupland - which is shaping up to be very entertaining. I feel like a real geek for getting virtually every reference to technology, but I love how this story told of startup software engineers is about relationships. Timely as well, as I begin to become aware of my own relationships while working in a software company. (creepy coincidence)

Disconcertingly, I've fallen back into needing to do things with people. This may sound weird, but there was a huge liberation in the 6 months of travel to learn how happy one can be just doing their own thing. Now I'm having a blast and making great friends, yet other people feel almost like a crutch as I spend so little time on my own. I wonder how much of my unease is due to the knowledge of near certain ends of all the relationships I'm building when I leave. (Yet another life lesson for me - all relationships certainly end) I guess this is one of those, "It's the journey, not the destination" things. Funny that being with people has made me lonely.

A goal of mine when I got to Wellington, and I think I need to do this soon, is to do a multiple day hike on my own. This scares me. Not the being by myself in the wilderness, but not having someone to talk to. I have to wonder about people (me) who need continuous external stimulation, what are we afraid of hearing from ourselves?

On the social butterfly front, things are fantastic. Our flat warming party (held in the bar downstairs) was a smashing success. About 200 people, 5 bartenders, DJ, and even folks walking around with appetizers - how flash! More to the point, it was a freaking awesome time. I was surprised that I had 50 friends to invite after only living here for ~4 months. (nearly missed trouble by inviting 5 women) I love how friendly people are here! Saw the sky lighten up when I finally hit the sack at half 5, only to wake up a couple hours later for yacht racing on Sunday. (Bring our the violin)

Next Monday is Labour Day and we have a three-day weekend. So in Craig Nehrkorn style, I'm hoping in a car with Kelly, Julie, and Simon and we are driving wherever a coin flip leads us. (First flip for North or South) Just have to be back Monday night. I'm looking forward to getting out of the city for a couple days and seeing the stars again.

I'm knackered from sprint training today (getting into an exercise regime with coworkers) and I've got rugby tomorrow so I'll say good night.

Happy Thursday, from the bottom of the world!

No comments: