Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Um… Anyone still checking this stale ol’ thing?

Sorry for the long silence, I’ve been busy – but this is the worst excuse. A lesson I learned while traveling and having nothing really to do for weeks and months at a time, ‘I always have time – having too much to do is because I am trying to do too much.’

So for a catch up as I apparently haven’t made a terribly large amount of time for this neglected blog:

To pick up where I left off, I went snowboarding for the first time… 4 weekends ago. It was freaking awesome! I’m buying a season pass next season – that’s all there is to it. By the end of the first day I was on top of the mountain taking on blacks. Second day on a high performance board I was discovering the power of edges and crushed my cell phone’s LCD during a face plant. (Fixed in an hour on Monday – I love having a nice, cheap, and basic phone) By the end of the second day I experienced an exhaustion I’m not sure I have ever felt before. It was literally a challenge to stand for about 36 hours – now that’s what I call a good time!

Then I went to work for a week… yeah work.

Then a weekend out on the town and sailing. Saturday Sailing this time with the spring season opener. These guys are amazing sailors and very serious. The boats and sails are covered with sponsors and we even had a helicopter watching the race! We sailed in 25-30 knot winds and hit 12 knots surfing the kite downwind! (We are only on a 33 foot boat) I hope to get out and shoot a race when I’m not sailing because it is beautiful. Saturday night we had a big awards banquet for our office. A lot of fun, I DJ’ed the dancing later in the night as I watched my ~100 coworkers have no problem getting completely trolleyed (kiwi-ism for drunk). Was supposed to join folks out but fell asleep fully dressed and sitting up on couch when I went to drop off my laptop at 2 AM. Awoke the next morning and had text messages from Kristie, Kelly, and Julie between 3 and 4 am asking where I was – there is definitely some fun to be had here. Sunday for recovery with a visit to the museum and some Jazz at a local café with my friend Elisabet (German girl who speaks German (go figure), English, French, and Thai – freaking Thai!) that turned into a late night with following drinks at Matterhorn (a favorite local haunt). Being the geek that I am, a high point of the weekend was when I had to go fill up my scooter. Why you ask? Because I realized I have used 1 gallon of petrol in 10 weeks – now that’s a lifestyle I dig. (Granted 1 gallon of petrol is $7)


Another week of work… (and a great reggae concert with a guy that was actually Bob Marley’s producer, Lee “Scratch” Perry)


Then I went snowboarding again!! Whoo hoo! This time I took Friday off and hit three days straight. (I love that after 3 months of work I already have 5 days of vacation time) Went up with a great guy I met at work named Scotty. A huge traveler, along with apparently every other Kiwi I’ve met. This guy even managed to get kidnapped in Morocco – now that’s a story that will be hard to top. Started landing jumps Friday, Saturday landed a jump from a frozen waterfall (second try). And Sunday I climbed to the summit (9,200 feet) of the active volcano we were snowboarding on to feel the 60 MPH winds trying to blow us in the massive crater lake hundreds of feet below. The snow, ice, and wind were blinding and deafening – so what better thing to do but snowboard down through it?

Then back to work for a week…

Friday night out with the work crew, but must admit it’s hard to keep up with these kiwis – they do like to party. Then Saturday with a ferry ride to Eastbourne (suburb across bay) for hiking with Simon (English pal) and Marie (Swedish gal) and finally pulled my camera out again. It had sat dormant too long – will upload some photos at work tomorrow. Beautiful hike on a great day. On the ferry ride back we sat on the top deck, had red wine, and watched the sunset, magnificent. Met another German, Ilka, sitting next to us and the four of us managed to leave the ferry at 7:30 pm and not get home until 3 am. Sunday was more racing on “Flying Boat” and an invite to race on the “Brothers Race”. I’m thrilled as this is an offshore race across the Cook Strait and back. The Cook Strait, I’m told, is one of the more vicious in the world. We are in the Roaring Forties to start, and then it is sandwiched between two seas of different temperature, and lastly between two mountainous islands with world famous currents. I’m heard stories of previous years with 11 knot currents, 20 foot breaking swells crashing over the boat, and flying spinnakers in 40 knots of wind! The race can last anywhere from 9 to 36 hours depending on wind and currents, but this year the forecast is for large fronts to blowing through during the race. To register with the crew manager for the race I had to give my next of kin – now this is some real fun. Because everyone knows you can’t have real fun unless your life is danger…right?

I have managed to sleep well following these weekends. I really missed ACL Fest, but at the time I was climbing a volcano and snowboarding down – so I guess I’ll live.

I’ve started another week of work, which despite my previous descriptions on this entry is really fun. The people are great, the work is challenging and fun and I’m getting to start doing some really big projects. I’m currently implementing the hosting platform (that I designed it a few weeks ago) for the NZ government’s most busy website. I’m being flown to Auckland for a week to give my opinion to AA (NZ’s version of AAA) on how to do their ecommerce and integrate their website and intranet securely. And the best for last – today I was accepted by the NZ postal service to design their first centralized network directory. (~10,000 users and multiple business units, only one of which is NZ’s 3rd largest bank) So, work is great – challenging as hell, but a blast.

All the wonderful things in the world won’t change the fact that I miss family and friends back home. Yet, I also miss people I’ve met around the world. This is the worst characteristic of traveling on to new and exciting things, good-byes. Yet, without them, I wouldn’t have all the new hellos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad someone is having fun! Ya know...we just went through this MAJOR hurricane named "Rita" where only by the grace of God my house was undamaged. Every 3rd house on my street had a tree IN it. We evacuated and everything, but I've had to come back to the City -even though it's closed and they're not letting people in...because I supply gasoline in the Beaumont area. I've been without power and sometimes water for almost 2 weeks now. That's 2 weeks of excrutiating heat with no A/C, rare cold showers, and ravioli - and a ton of mosquitoes! And you thought you were adventuring. If I make it through this, I still plan to visit you when you get to Europe!! Stay Safe!!

Kay

Anonymous said...

Yes people are still reading your blog. Oasis is headed down under. I suggest you take in a show.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for finally posting and bringing us up to date!! Reading (savoring) your blog is an extraordinary treat I’ve sorely missed these past several weeks--living vicariously through your exhilarating adventures, marveling your courageous fortitude, and witnessing the growth and emergence of your noble spirit; definitely help me feel closer and ease a bit of the pain I feel missing you...thanks again!
XOXOXO
MOM

Anonymous said...

Still reading.. occasionally. Keep writing occasionally.