Saturday, February 26, 2005

Ahh...Fremantle

Where did I leave off… Gotta read back and find out… Oh that’s right I left off on Wednesday and a check of the watch tells me it’s Saturday. Gotta love that I have no idea what day it is.

Well, Wednesday afternoon walked into the hostel and a solicitation to go to Rottness Island by way of a chartered 65 foot catch. Being only 20% more than the ferry ride, I was definitely in. Cooked ravioli and sautéed bell pepper – no idea where this came from but it wasn’t bad. Went to bed after an ice cream and a walk in the park, the good and the bad. Three ice cream shops on our street and a beautiful park at the end overlooking the harbour and sea.

Awoke through mere excitement before 8 and walked to the Sundancer for a 9 am departure. It was a bit crowded with 16 people, yet the size of the yacht still allowed for plenty of room to stretch your legs (Or even fall asleep on the aft deck). We sailed to Carnac Island first were we snorkeled with Sea Lions, yet I stayed in the dingy in hopes of catching a few pictures (Oh the sacrifices…). They were hilarious and very playful, one came up to the stern of the dingy and rolling over to take in a good eyeful of me. Sitting 2 feet from this guy smiling at me made me wonder how much of a difference there was between the two of us.

Hoped back aboard the yacht for the 2 hour sail to Rottness Island. The wind built to about 20 knots and it was glorious. Full genoa, staysail, and main on a broad reach; cruising in 30 feet of water and able to see the differences in the sea bottom - royal blue for the rock and emerald green for the sand. The smell of fresh sea air, no humidity, and 75 degrees under blue skies: days like this are what I live for.

Amazed by Rottness’ beauty and peacefulness. No private vehicles, salt lakes, white beaches, rocky cliffs, and crystal clear Indian Ocean. A stop at the bakery for my new favorite Australian dish, a meat pie (basically a fresh, homemade pot-pie you eat with your hands) and then a walk around for 3 hours before the sail back to Fremantle. The night then commenced with a good-bye night on the town with a group from the hostel (these happen every other night due to the simultaneously transitory and jolly nature of the residents).

Friday was another day for relaxing. Booked a 9 day outback safari commencing on the 5th of March (I can’t freakin’ wait! Check it out here). Then looked into bus rides and accommodations to the Margaret River area where I intend to tour wineries and excellent food for a few days. Burned some CD’s for friends in the lobby and watched another tearful goodbye. Feeling the sting of impermanence a bit today. You make friends everyday with amazing people, and everyday you say goodbye to them. Spent the afternoon having tea at a café thinking about how alone one can be surrounded by people. But I had to wonder if this is not just a magnification of the issues we face in permanent life as well; everyone always leaves your life. Maybe the lesson to learn is to just enjoy the time you have. Then I was brought out of my funk by Ina, the picture you have in your mind of a friendly 6 foot, blonde, German girl with a permanent smile. Joined me in the sun for an hour. Got an ice cream and walked to the shore with my camera. The sun promised to set in an hour or so and I was blessed with the warm red light that comes at the end of a clear blue day. Walked about watching the birds, people, water, sun. The end of the day at the end of land is so peaceful somehow. It exemplifies closure of the day and the infinity of the world simultaneously. When traveling and having nothing but possibility lying before me, the horizon taunts with the next movement. The next sunset, the next ocean, the next day.

Came back to the hostel only to be offered a job. Some guy walked into the hostel needing “computer help”, so I nearly jumped off the couch at the excitement of working. (I’m pathetic) It’s funny how I miss being challenged, or maybe it’s that I miss being needed. Lately I’m this anonymous shadow floating through foreign countries and ephemeral relationships. Nonetheless, I love the flexibility to change plans by at least a week and maybe more at the drop of a hat. And I finally went for a night tour of the old Fremantle Prison. Built by convicts in the 1850’s and used until 1991, it was a pretty creepy place. After all, that’s the point of the flashlight lit night tour.

Today went to “work” for about 3 hours and was presented a project by a scatterbrained but apparently very successful entrepreneur. We then sang happy birthday to someone in the hostel, when I leave I’ll never see her again, but I still meant then wishes. I might have meant it even more. Then I crashed the German “girls night out”, but was welcomed as the pseudo-gay friend. We watched “Finding Neverland”. It was a truly magical night, possibly my best ever movie watching experience. Two Germans, a Brit (Yorkshire, the accent is endlessly entertaining) and myself went to an outdoor theater. We had oven-fired pizzas before the show and then watched a fantastic fairy tail with a bottle of Shiraz from a Poplar lined lawn and watched the clouds playing peek-a-boo with Orion.

So now I’m back, coping CD’s into iTunes (Portishead, Morcheeba, and Spearhead). Looking forward to hearing these tunes walking on my next beach or mountain. I’ll go to my “work” tomorrow, but I really have nothing but possibility for the next few months. Wait, no… nothing but possibilities forever.

No comments: