Monday, February 07, 2005

When in Rome...

Well Karstein, Annetta, & I decided to splurge and eat out at a fantastic Japanese food restaurant last night. And it was truly fantastic. Beef & Lobster on a tepenyaki grill in a restaurant with A/C. I felt like I was in heaven. There was a serious pang of guilt though because at ~ USD$20, I spent a locals paycheck on a meal.

To continue acting like beach going tourists, we went to a club called fuel next. It was quite nice, just like being in New York or Philly. Drinks were only 50,000 rupia, or equal to the price of most hotel rooms on the island. Had a blast but realized later that we were 40 yards from the site of the Kuta Bombings from 2002. Sitting in this bar, drinking drinks that a local would never in there right mind buy, I realized that 200 people were doing the same and died. It's a crazy world we live in and I'm not sure how to always reconcile the good with the bad.

Getting ready to head off to Lombok tomorrow. This is a Muslim island next to Bali. A little curious how different the culture will be and if they will have any more animosity for Americans.

Checking out in Indonesia - Trey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

KFCIndonesia is hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Hey Trey I miss you so much!! Dad and i are planning to come see you. He told me he was going to tyry and hook up some flights for about two weeks to go to New Zealand and Figi. I am so excuted to see you my eyes starterd to water up just looking at your blogger thing. I miss you big brother XOXOX. for your forver favorite "big" little sis. Audrey