Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Last day in Bali

Well it's noon here, and I leave for the Airport in 5 hours to catch the redeye to Perth, Australia. I realized this would be a great time to figure out where I intend to stay once I land in that next country at Midnight.

It has been beautiful, fun, and relaxing here in Bali - I hope to return with friends another time. I thought I should mention some of "funny" things here:

*On the ferry between Bali and Lombok, the bathroom had a Indonesian toilet which is basically a porcelain hole in the ground was made by the company American Standard. Something funny about being in a very non-American restroom and seeing the hole in the ground branded "American Standard".

*Driving the scooter has been an adventure in itself. Imagine the density of traffic on New York streets, 90% scooters and dramatically efficient use of the roadway. That means no braking distance, vehicles going both ways in both lanes and did I mention no yielding or stop lights of any sorts and intersections? Craziness...pure craziness.

*The bathroom is the shower

*Toilet paper is a thing you bring with you

*Everyone seems to listen to American music and watch American Movies - and that is interesting way to judge America by

*I've met ~30 Swedes in 3 weeks and 0 Texans, and there are more than twice as many people in Texas as Sweden

Well checking out of Bali in about 8 hours, I this message finds you all well back home.

PS Pictures coming soon....

No comments: