Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Bangkok to Bali

Deep breath... Here goes to catching up.

Saturday-
Well, after mailing home presents (post charges were literally 3 times the price of the items) I caught back up with Summer, Shannon, & Pop. We then went to the CU-TU 61st annual soccer match. CU (Chualalongkorn (spelling?)) and TU are the Harvard and Yale of Thailand. The streets, malls, and every last nook and cranny were packed with CU & TU fans and they all wore the same things. CU wore the same pink shirt (even the guys) and TU were the same red shirt. This uniformity makes more sense when you see that all, and I mean all, Thailand students were the same uniform (kindergarten through college). By the way my knowledge of this is hardly academic, but only what I saw. The uniform consists of a white pressed button down shirt and a black skirt for girls or black trousers for the guys (sometimes shorts too I think). The only way to tell schools apart is that they all wear a school pin.

Anyways, the match was fantastic. I even purchased a light pink polo so that I would fit right in (except for being white and about 60 pounds heavier than any local). I was really impressed by two things: first, they have this amazing ceremony before hand, in which, amongst other things, they have political floats. (Thailand's students led a revolution in the 70's that overthrew the existing government and imposed a constitution on the monarchy). Secondly, and more astounding coming from the US was there sense of sportsmanship. The cover of the game's brochure had a drawing of CU and TU students with their arms over each others shoulders. They completely lack the tendency of US football fans that want to tear the liver out of the opposing team's fans. Not to say they were not into the game. Standing up, screaming for their respective team, yet clapping when the other team did well. To say the least I think there is a thing or two to learn from this type of sportsmanship. When discussing the difference with a Thai, she asked if it was a side affect of Capitalism? An interesting point but I would hope there is a way to have a capitalist, yet egalitarian society (yet that is basically a contradiction).

Well, after the game we went with Oak to a great Thai restaurant and ate grilled catfish on a stick amongst other things. Yet again, falling asleep in the car on the way home but slowly getting more adjusted to the time.

Sunday-
The next day I checked out of my free lodgings with Shannon & Summer and took the express boat back up the river to Thewit district and checked back in to the Bangkok IYH. Here I proceeded to take a Thai cooking class. Now this was a great afternoon, 60 Baht (US$1.50) to learn to cook Thai food with a bunch of internationals while stimulating my pallet as never before. And that was basically my day. This is were I met the beautiful Tannie (americanized nickname) who later took me to were I could get a book on Bali. And still later we went to China town for Pad Thai that was indescribable. There is something amazing about sitting with a beautiful intelligent girl, in the middle of Chinatown, in Bangkok, at a tiny food stall in a crowded market, and thinking I'll never have Pad Thai this good again.

Monday-
Slept like a baby in the air-conditioned dorm. Slowly got my act together and headed towards Ayuteeya (will correct spelling later). Met a hilarious Canadian Paul on the express boat and shared lunch for 15 Baht a piece before taking the train out to Ayuteeya. Train ride was great yet, urbanization continued forever. Finally got to Ayuteeya and was in awe. The spirituality of this place was astounding. I was walking around outside amongst the ruins and remember thinking that I've never been somewhere outside that inspired such deference. Came home on the train called up Tannie for coffee and readied for my trip out.

Tuesday-
Got up, put my life back in my backpack and headed off to the airport. (rode in a mini van with 11 people AND their luggage) Needless to say it was on it's axles. Something great about traveling: I was in the shop/guesthouse buying my ticket when two Spanish speakers walked in and asked the store keeper about something. I started up conversation I realized I was talking to the first Mexicans I've met abroad yet (they live in Sydney though). Within about 2 minutes of conversation they gave me there numbers and email and told me to come stay with them when I get to Sydney. Literally 2 or 3 minutes! And I was invited into their home. Something about being the minority really brings folks together, I think. Jumped the plane to Singapore and then to Bali. Landed and changed me leaving date from Bali from the 2nd to the 16th because it is supposed to be paradise and half the price of Australia. Then the selling began. Holy cow do these people push their products; taxi, sunglasses, food, motorbikes, lodging. It's like verbal spam walking down the street. Yet, I am in Kuta which is very touristy. Met some Americans (whoo-ho) on the street, asked where they were staying a booked a room (Kedin's II on Poppies Lane 1). Very nice, pool, gardens, but no A/C for 85,000 Rupia a night (~US$10) including breakfast.

Wednesday-

Verbal spam doesn't let up for a moment. But upon seeing the water I realized why everyone is here. It's the freaking south pacific and it's cheap and easy for Australians to get to. Met an Aussie in an internet cafe and was recommended to the Giley Islands. So I think I'll fly to Lombok tomorrow (~US$30) and take a taxi to the harbor, and boat to the islands. Should be much less noisy at the least as it is small and there are no cars or scooters on it.


That's all for now folks, I commend you if you made it though. I've been trying to upload photos now for about 2 hours and got half of them up. Check here to see. I'll try to get more up later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see...pool, gardens, place to sleep...$10.

Move over, we're ALL heading your way!

Thanks for the recounting of the game, and the photos are incredible, Trey.

News from Rockport...Max found a stick, dropped the stick, found a stick...cats rolled over...we're off to the office.

Love you!

Nick said...

That was smart taking the pictures of the sleeping Thais, that way you don't have to pay them.

Would you say the point of view that almost everyone in the world hates Americans is more true or less true based on your experiences these last couple of weeks?