Saturday, January 22, 2005

Photos...finally

Well it took awhile to hack past the "don't install anything on me security" in this internet cafe, but thanks windows for making it easy to get past. Anyways got some photos uploaded, check out Bangkok photos here (sorry but the weather has not cooperated yet for good picture taking weather, it has rained everyday and not cleared up yet) Well, I'm off to a soccer game this afternoon between rival Thai universities, Shannon's (girl from plane) friends (Pop and Mac, speak English and gave me easy versions of there names) that live in Bangkok went to the one wearing pink shirts? Pop and Mac took us to dinner last night which was amazing, but holy hell they can use the spice here.

I finally got why the Thai folks I try to speak Thai to don't understand me (other than the obvious point that I don't speak Thai). Thai is tonal and for an example Mac said this: guy, guy, guy, guy, & guy means...(gave 5 different things). To this I responded, huh? Apparently the tone, distinguishes the meaning. Akin to the difference in musical notes; "guy" spoken in C sharp means something but B flat means something else. That coupled with the fact Thai which is written with Thai characters (44 characters) has no capital letters or punctuation. And if that wasn't hard enough they don't put spaces between their words only between sentences. Anyone that has ever heard me sing would appreciate the challenge of learning Thai, so more power to the one white guy I've seen speaking it so far.

Having trouble writing in flowing sentences. Speak English broken. Sentences not work. Yes, no yes.

I'll leave you with a photo of the amazing tailor setup on the street that hemmed my pants for me. This guy rocks, amazingly friendly and like other Thais I have met he took phenomenal pride in what he did.



Smiles from Thailand.

Trey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting for photos before I posted a comment, and now all I can profoundly manage is "Wow"! It's great to feel a part of your trip through your blog, but it's got to be better to be living it. Take it from a 45-year-old "kid-at-heart", you're living the dream. Laughed out loud when I read your spice comment below... Hopefully, "That which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."

Everyone at the office smiles whenever I mention your name... you've lots of friends keeping up with you, even if they don't all post comments.

BFN, KGIScott