Saturday, January 29, 2005

Managing to get out of the pool...

Well I decided to take up surfing yesterday... (Whit you would be proud, I stood up and rode in on my third wave) The surf is amazing - crystal clear, azul colored, 75 degree water, no wind, and 4-5 foot rollers on soft sand. I have a whole new appreciation of paddling. Went to bed early though, as I had to get up a 1 am this morning to climb Mount Batur.

The view was amazing, we reached the summit (~5,000 feet) around 4:30 am. Went with guides Mom, no worries. Around 5:45 the sky lit up with fiery oranges and yellows in a slate blue sky. White clouds drifting 3,500 feet below up on Lake Batur, which only reflected the spectacle above. For an added touch, the neighboring volcanoes were silhouetted by the sunrise. (great pictures coming ASAP, probably when I get to Australia) I was thinking I took the best sunrise picture of my life, but then I realized that the competition had few contestants due to my lack of sunrise viewings.

The hike was followed up with bathing in hot springs on Lake Batur, lunch overlooking the valley, and finally views of brilliant green rice patties. Got home around 4:30 exhausted and unbelievably happy and excited.

Excited because I am starting my own "Mo-Ped Diaries" tomorrow (although I highly doubt my conversion to communism). I'll be taking off tomorrow to tour Bali by Mo-Ped for 2 weeks. (Island is about 100 Miles by 25 miles). I plan to ride along the coast until I see an idyllic village in which to sleep in the traditional losmans (guest houses in local homesteads that dot the island). I'll be sure to photograph it well, and sure to share my adventures. Salemat Tingal from Bali.

PS Thank you Melissa for the most eloquent and moving message I have received yet, please send your email address at your leisure.

1 comment:

tko said...

AWWWWW YEEEEAAAA!!

Trey it does my heart good to imagine you sitting on top of a mountain somewhere on the other side of the world watching the sunrise. I think of you smiling, giggling, and breathing deeply. Take it all in, buddy.

NO SLEEP 'TIL BALI!!!

-tamara