Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Holy Hell, Batman! I'm in Thailand!

Alright, so the act of getting here was a little less immediate. (more on the plane rides later). I arrived in Bangkok around 2 AM this morning and found that my backpack was still in Dallas, China Airlines says it was AA (go figure). China airlines are amazing by the way, lots of great food service and new 747's. Never deterred I received a tourist visa and blew past the guys charging 600 Baht for a taxi ride to the local rail station. Here for 10 Baht (~25 cents) I rode into the city center. It was right out of the indiana jones with the railroad. Wooden floored and seated cars windows wide open and no doors. People sprawled everywhere ensuring that I felt very fortunate for what life has dealt me. It challenging enough to now which way to go on the railroad, but once on there is NO map, NO announcement of stops, and NO English. Not just is there no English but everything is in Sanskrit (including the keyboard I'm typing on) so that I could identify it on a map if I wanted to. Luckily I was getting off at the main train station that was a far cry from the local stops and therefore stood out. Jumped off the train with everyone else as it was still rolling into the station and walked through the groups of people asleep on the sidewalk outside. I could have then walked the 3 miles to the hostel but I gave in a paid way to much for a Tuk Tuk ride (200 Baht) and we had to stop 4 times to check my map on how to find the place. Finally, dropped off at 4 am and the place is dark with a closed sign! Luckily the entrance around the building was open within 30 minutes and I found that I had a reservation for the wrong day! None the less the night man let me pay my 70 Baht (~$2) for a "Fan Dormitory Room". That's right bob, no A/C in the 90 degree night. Yet I have to say I'm enjoying the jump into real deal traveling. The forth floor room I share with 7 others looks out onto a city unlike that I have ever seen. At first last night I was scarred to death I had made an enormous mistake, but morning shown that the 1st day of my adventure will be wonderful. I'm excited beyond belief and can't wait to get some pictures up here for you all to see.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Free At Last! Free At Last! We'll be watching for your pictures!! Love to you...your Rockport Fan Club!!

Anonymous said...

God Speed Trey! Take Lots and Lots of pictures. KGI is watching! :-)

Nick said...

You are my hero too, also you are Patty's hero. You are everyone's hero! You are SuperTrey! Able to find your hostel without a map, able to not get ripped off by the taxis, able to live without your backpack. Hope you are pimping your Go Canadian package.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Trey. Have fun in Bangkok.

Mileah

Anonymous said...

Try not to bang your cock on anything.